- All participants must be under the age of 35 on the first date of the Competition
- All participants must be citizens of the 28 countries having full membership of the European Union (list of EU countries on the EU website).
- After the application deadline the selection panel will shortlist 20 candidates, who will be informed of the results. The selected participants will be invited to take part in the competition in London.
- Rounds 1 and 2 will take place at Milton Court Concert Hall and the Guildhall School of Music & Drama with the Guildhall School Symphony Orchestra; the final round will take place at the Barbican with the London Symphony Orchestra.
- Participants are asked to prepare all repertoire. For Rounds 1 and 2 they will be told their repertoire immediately before taking the stage. The three finalists’ repertoire and running order is drawn by lot at the end of Round 2.
Sample repertoire: 2014 competition
(Approx. 15 minutes for each of the 20 candidates)
Mozart Symphony No 39
Beethoven Symphony No 1
Bartók Divertimento for Strings
(Approx. 30 minutes for each of the 10 candidates)
Dvorák Cello Concerto
Sibelius Violin Concerto
and two contemporary works from the LSO's recent commissions of younger composers
Vlad Maistorovici Halo
Charlie Piper Fleotan
(drawn by lot at the end of Round 2; rehearsed am & pm with LSO on day 3, final performance 7pm)
Beethoven Egmont Overture
Stravinsky Symphony in Three Movements