LSO On Track CPD for Primary Teachers
LSO On Track CPD for Primary Teachers in East London* aims to develop confidence and strategies for using music in the classroom, focusing on a creative approach to music-making.
Led by LSO Animateur Rachel Leach and LSO players, activities aim to give teachers instantly applicable practical ideas to use in the classroom with KS1 and KS2 students, including those in special education.
During any given CPD workshop we aim to help participants:
- gain confidence both in teaching music and in using their own personal creative skills
- learn warm up exercises, appropriate for different musical and classroom situations
- play with other teachers in an ensemble
- use simple music leadership and conducting techniques
LSO On Track CPD Scheme 2013/14
We are delighted to welcome our new group of CPD teachers to this year's Scheme. They will be working in 3 CPD Centres across East London.
Barking & Dagenham Community Music Service, Dagenham
Bird College, Bexley Music Service, Sidcup
Waltham Forest Music Service
Greenleaf Primary School, Walthamstow
For a full list of teachers and tutors click here.
LSO On Track CPD Scheme
The LSO On Track CPD Scheme is a year-long (3 terms) Scheme designed for KS2 teachers who want to develop confidence and strategies for using music in the classroom, focusing on a creative approach to music-making.
The Scheme is suitable for all KS2 teachers, teaching assistants and other school and music service staff from the ten Boroughs of East London*, whether they have no experience of using music in the classroom, some experience, or a great deal of experience.
Delivered by LSO Animateur Rachel Leach and specialists from the East London Music Services*, and supported by LSO Players, the Scheme content is written by Music Educator / Trainer and Head of Hackney Music Service, James Thomas, with Rachel Leach.
The main elements of the Scheme are:
- Weekly after-school "Twilight" training sessions in 2 or 3 CPD Centres in selected East London Boroughs
- 1 Creative Day per term (3 terms) at the Barbican or LSO St Luke's
- 1 project in school per term (3 terms) each including a visit to school from LSO musicians
- 1 class attending an LSO Schools concert as part of an in-school project
- Attendance at LSO concerts and other events
Benefits of the LSO On Track: CPD Scheme
By the end of the Scheme it is anticipated that teachers will have:
- gained confidence both in teaching music and in your own personal musical development
- developed your singing skills
- facilitated a group or ensemble at your school
- sourced appropriate songs for use with a range of age groups
- learned warm up exercises, appropriate for different musical and classroom situations
- understood the basic principles of graphic notation and other appropriate forms of notation
- organised one visit to a live music event for your pupils
- performed with other teachers in an ensemble
- written a scheme of work for your year group
- developed your own personal listening experiences
- demonstrated an ability to create abstract pieces and to structure class music pieces
- used simple conducting techniques to lead young musicians in the classroom
- demonstrated a deeper understanding of working in collaboration with other art forms
- followed an LSO Resource Pack to prepare pupils for an LSO Schools Concert
- organised one or more performance opportunities for your pupils
On completion of the LSO On Track CPD Scheme, teachers also have the opportunity to seek formal Accreditation by taking the Trinity College London qualification LTCL Music Practice: Teaching, for which they receive support from LSO and Music Service tutors.
CPD Scheme Alumni
Having completed the Scheme, teachers automatically become members of the CPD Scheme Alumni. We are currently building a programme of additional activity which CPD Alumni can access.
If you are CPD Alumni and haven't been in touch with us for a while, we want to hear from you! Let us know what you are up to and make sure we have your contact details so we can invite you to CPD and other LSO events. Please contact David Nunn as below.
LSO On Track CPD Scheme 2011/12
Congratulations to our 2011/12 teachers who Graduated from the Scheme on Thursday 27 September after performing on the Barbican Freestage before the LSO's evening performance in the Barbican Hall.
The LSO On Track CPD Scheme 2011/12 finished in July 2012, with 24 teachers from across East London completing the full Scheme, with 9 teachers currently seeking formal accreditation from Trinity College London. The LSO would like to congratulate all those teachers who took part, it has been truly inspiring to share the year with them.
The CPD Borough Centres for 2011/12 were based at Hackney Music Service (with CPD Tutors James Thomas & Xanthe Sarr), Newham Academy of Music (with CPD Tutors Julie Sharpe & June Bonfield-Brown) and Redbridge Music Service (with CPD Tutor Maggie Goble).
For more information about any aspect of the CPD Scheme, please contact David Nunn, LSO On Track Associate Projects Manager, on 020 7382 2538 or firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to your local Music Service.
*East London boroughs: Barking & Dagenham, Bexley, Greenwich, Hackney, Havering, Lewisham, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest.
Tutors: Julie Stanning & Andrew Raybould (Bird College)