LSO Discovery Music CPD for Primary Teachers aims to develop confidence and strategies for using music in the classroom, focusing on a creative approach to music-making.
Led by LSO Animateur Rachel Leach and LSO players, activities aim to give teachers instantly applicable practical ideas to use in the classroom with KS1 and KS2 students, including those in special education.
During any given CPD workshop we aim to help participants:
- gain confidence both in teaching music and in using their own personal creative skills
- learn warm up exercises, appropriate for different musical and classroom situations
- play with other teachers in an ensemble
- use simple music leadership and conducting techniques
The LSO works closely with the music services in East London through the LSO On Track programme and will prioritise places for school staff from these boroughs: Barking & Dagenham, Bexley, Greenwich, Hackney, Havering, Lewisham, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest.
Music in the Classroom Programme
LSO Discovery's Music in the Classroom Programme, run in partnership with Hackney Music Service and Newham Music, will run during the 2016-17 year. This programme gives primary school students and teachers access to professional musicians in an engaging and unconventional way, providing opportunities to experience high-quality live music-making and a ‘way in’ to western classical music.
Those who sign up to the Music in the Classroom programme will receive:
- 3 creative music-making projects in school with LSO Animateur Rachel Leach and LSO musicians
- Tickets to attend an LSO Discovery Schools Concert at the Barbican
- Project training and support sessions for 1 teacher across 1 year
- Access to LSO Discovery Teacher CPD workshop days for staff and teachers from your school
For more information about the course please click here.
Creative Days 2016/17
LSO Discovery’s day-long workshops at LSO St Luke’s aim to encourage primary school teachers and other staff teaching music to use a creative and hands-on approach to western classical music. Led by LSO animateur Rachel Leach and LSO musicians, the days are designed specifically for those with some existing musical experience, taking different approaches to class composition, using western classical music as a stimulus.
All Creative Days take place on Mondays, 10am–3pm at LSO St Luke’s, 161 Old Street, London EC1V 9NG
Listen and Compose – Monday 27 February 2017, LSO St Luke’s
Follow-up Session and LSO evening concert: Thursday 23 March, Barbican Centre
Composing in the Classroom – Monday 22 May 2017, LSO St Luke’s
Follow-up Session and LSO evening concert: Thursday 8 June, Barbican Centre
Access Classical – Monday 26 June 2017, LSO St Luke’s
Follow-up Session and LSO evening concert: Tuesday 11 July, Barbican Centre
For more information about these Creative Days please click here.