LSO Discovery Choir
The LSO Discovery Choir is open to young people aged 7–18 that live or go to school in Hackney, Islington or the City (Juniors) or any London borough (Seniors).
Formed in June 2004 by Gareth Malone, the choir has been involved in some fantastic events over the past few years. They have sung at Windsor Castle for HRH The Prince of Wales, at a film premiere, with Dave Brubeck, with the LSO at the Barbican, in VoiceOver which was linked via satellite to a parallel concert at The Sage Gateshead, in the LSO Discovery 20th Anniversary Concert at the Barbican, and recently in the premiere of Edward Rushton's oratorio Cicadas with the LSO Community Choir and LSO players. The LSO Discovery Choir has also performed for the local community at the Finsbury Arts Festival at the St Luke’s Community Centre, and in 2012 the Choir had the honour of performing in Islington Town Hall in the exciting final stages of the Olympic Torch Relay.
Rehearsals take place on Mondays in term-time at LSO St Luke's:
4–5pm: Juniors (aged 7–11, live or go to school in Hackney, Islington or the City)
5–6.15pm Seniors (aged 11–18, live or go to school in any London borough)
Membership for the year costs £45, which covers music hire, t-shirts and the cost of performances.
How to join
Applications are now open for the LSO Discovery Choir in 2015/16. To apply, please download the application form, complete and return to:
Choral Projects Manager
London Symphony Orchestra
Barbican, Silk Street
London EC2Y 8DS
You can also email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Places in the LSO Discovery Choir are allocated on an annual basis following the selection day. The selection day for the 2015/16 year is on Saturday 6 June 2015.
For your child to be considered for a place in the Choir and to attend the selection day, please complete the attached form and return it to the address provided by Monday 18 May 2015.
What will happen after you have returned your form
- After 18 May, you will receive a confirmation letter (sent to the postal address provided in the application form) outlining the exact timings, location and requirements for the Selection day.
- If you do not receive your confirmation letter by Wednesday 3 June please contact Andra East on 020 7382 2518.
- Your child attends the Selection day on Saturday 6 June 2015.
- Following the selection day you will receive notification of whether your child has been awarded a place in the Choir.
- Places are awarded for one academic year (from September each year) after which you will be invited to re-apply.
Please contact Andra East on 020 7382 2518 or email email@example.com if you have any questions.
The LSO Discovery Choir is supported by the John S Cohen Foundation and the Slaughter and May Charitable Trust. It is also part of LSO Sing which is generously supported by the J Paul Getty Jnr Charitable Trust.