Flying the flag in Korea, China and Vietnam
The LSO is once again flying the flag for Britain on the world stage, when it embarks on a major concert tour to Korea, China and Vietnam in February and March.
Obituary: Gervase de Peyer (1926–2017)
The LSO is sad to hear of the death on 3 February 2017 of its former Principal Clarinet Gervase de Peyer. Gervase joined the Orchestra in 1955, leaving in 1972 to continue his work with the Chamber Music Society of which he was a founder member at the then-relatively new Lincoln Center in New York.
Press release: recognition in 2017 New Year's Honours List for LSO Violinist Lennox Mackenzie
Lennox Mackenzie, sub-leader and former Chairman of the London Symphony Orchestra (LSO), has been awarded an OBE for services to music in the New Year’s Honours List 2017, following 37 years as an LSO violinist, and 16 years served as the Orchestra’s Chairman.
London Symphony Orchestra unveils future plans
- Sir Simon Rattle’s inaugural season launched with a ten-day musical celebration
- Young people and new audiences at the heart of future plans – new ticket schemes announced
- Stockhausen masterpiece to be staged at Tate Modern’s Turbine Hall
- 2017/18 season highlights announced
- British composers a major focus
- LSO digital partnerships bring the orchestra to the world
New on LSO Play: Shostakovich Symphony No 5
We are delighted that the latest work for our award-winning site LSO Play, Shostakovich Symphony No 5, is now available to watch online. The performance is conducted by LSO Conductor Laureate Michael Tilson Thomas and was recorded at the Barbican Hall in March 2015.