A free open-air concert in the heart of London
Time and place?
Sunday 21 May 2017 6.30pm
Trafalgar Square, London
What was on the programme?
RACHMANINOV Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
RACHMANINOV arr GLYN Non Allegro from ‘Symphonic Dances’ *
RACHMANINOV Allegro molto, Adagio and Allegro Vivace from Symphony No 2
Who was on?
Valery Gergiev conductor
Behzod Abduraimov piano
London Symphony Orchestra
Young musicians from LSO On Track *
Students from the Guildhall School of Music & Drama *
Tell me more!
The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Valery Gergiev, performed an all-Rachmaninov programme in London’s Trafalgar Square on Sunday 21 May, the sixth concert in the Orchestra’s annual BMW LSO Open Air Classics series, free and open to all.
Rising star pianist Behzod Abduraimov made his debut with the LSO performing Rachmaninov's famous Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, and the concert finished with the composer's emotionally and musically expansive Second Symphony, a work that is considered to be amongst the composer’s finest achievements. In between 40 young musicians from East London from the LSO’s On Track programme, and musicians from the Guildhall School of Music & Drama played side-by-side with members of the LSO in specially arranged movements from the Symphonic Dances.
The concert is the result of a partnership between the LSO and BMW who share the belief that great music is for everyone, whatever their background or situation. Now highly-anticipated in London’s musical calendar, BMW LSO Open Air Classics each year offers everyone who can be there, Londoners and visitors to the city alike, the opportunity to experience the LSO free and in the open air in Trafalgar Square. Large screens and state-of-the-art sound technology allow the whole crowd to witness the concert close-up, making the experience equally special at the back of the square as at the front.
Pictures: BMW LSO Open Air Classics 2017
- The stage The stage
- 7000 in the audience 7000 in the audience
- LSO violinist Matthew Gardner LSO violinist Matthew Gardner
- From the back of Trafalgar Square From the back of Trafalgar Square
- LSO On Track violinists LSO On Track violinists
- Presenter Lucy Griffiths Presenter Lucy Griffiths
- Ian Robertson, BMW Ian Robertson, BMW
- Pianist Behzod Abduraimov Pianist Behzod Abduraimov
- Looking out to the audience Looking out to the audience
- The stage The stage
- Double basses Double basses
- Big screens Big screens
- Backstage Backstage
- From the stage From the stage
- LSO On Track musicians prepare backstage LSO On Track musicians prepare backstage