BERNSTEIN Wonderful Town (concert version)
Introduced on stage by the conductor
Sir Simon Rattle conductor
Danielle de Niese Eileen
Nathan Gunn Bob Baker
Duncan Rock Wreck
London Symphony Chorus
Simon Halsey chorus director
London Symphony Orchestra
Part of the 2017/18 season
Welcome to Wonderful Town, Bernstein’s all-singing all-dancing tribute to the (second) greatest city in the world!
New York, New York – a hell of a town, where everybody is somebody and even a nobody can become a star! If you can make it there you can make it anywhere, kid. All you need is a dream.
Just look at Eileen and Ruth, two sisters fresh off the bus from Ohio. She’s a writer and she’s an actress. She can’t find a man, while she can’t keep them away! They’re making a brand new start of it and you can almost feel those little town blues melting away like the last patch of snow in Central Park. But are they going to make it here in the big city? Let’s find out!
This is Bernstein’s slice of the Big Apple, a one-hour musical love letter to the city that never sleeps. We can’t wait to welcome you to Wonderful Town.
At this concert will be offering a new experience – information and insight about the music delivered in real time to your smartphone. EnCue is a mobile app that enhances audience engagement during live performing arts events. The app delivers media to viewers in real time, creating a unique opportunity for viewers to receive helpful information at the exact moment you need it during live events.
Here's how to get involved:
Before the concert day
On the concert day
1. Make sure your phone is fully charged before leaving for the Barbican
2. Connect to our dedicated WiFi network 'LSO Half Six Fix'
3. Set your phone to silent. We also recommend turning off auto screen lock and disabling push notifications
4. Open the EnCue app
5. You can sign in with Facebook or your email if you want to create an account. This lets you save slides to view later, or share them to Facebook. If you’d rather not create an account, select 'Skip'
6. Select London from the list of available cities
7. Tap 'Download Performance' then 'View Performance'. The notes will start automatically and will advance automatically during the performance – you can swipe left or right to browse content on your own, and re-sync with the performance at any time by tapping the EnCue icon in the lower left portion of the screen. You will know you are in sync when the icon is completely blue.
There is a user guide contained in the app which can be accessed by tapping the (?) icon in the top right of the screen.
These concerts start at 6.30pm and last for one hour, without an interval, featuring a short programme of one or two major works, which the conductor will introduce from the stage.
To bring you closer to the action, we’ll have screens to showcase the performers and programme notes available electronically on your Android or iPhone device. You can also enjoy the music with a drink in your seat.
Also in the Bernstein 100 series:
Sat 4 Nov 2017:
Family Concert: Celebrating Bernstein
Sun 5 Nov 2017:
Wed 8 Nov 2017:
Sat 16 Dec 2017: