STRAVINSKY Ebony Concerto
OSVALDO GOLIJOV arr GONZALO GRAU Nazareno for two pianos and orchestra (UK premiere)
BERNSTEIN Prelude, Fugue and Riffs
Introduced on stage by the conductor
Sir Simon Rattle conductor
Chris Richards clarinet
Katia and Marielle Labèque pianos
Gonzalo Grau Latin percussion
Raphael Seguinier Latin percussion
London Symphony Orchestra
Tickets: £36 £31 £22 £16 £12
£5 under-18s tickets available
£3 online booking fee, £4 telephone booking fee per transaction - click here for more information on booking fees
Part of the main season multibuy - click here for more information on multibuys
Part of 2018/19 Season
Please note that finish times are approximate and subject to change.
Sir Simon Rattle celebrates the union of classical and jazz in this Half Six Fix concert.
Argentinian tango and jazz course through Golijov’s vibrant Nazareno. Superstar duo Katia and Marielle Labèque are flanked by brass, percussion and cello in this special arrangement for two pianos and orchestra.
Stravinsky’s Ebony Concerto is an era-defining amalgamation of jazz and classical. Reflecting back the variety of a rapidly changing world, it’s at turns frenetic and agitated, mournful and bluesy. This influence extends into Bernstein’s Prelude, Fugue and Riffs, an exuberant union of classical and jazz.
Half Six Fix is a new way to experience the LSO. Enjoy a drink from your seat, hear an introduction to the music from Sir Simon Rattle before the performance, and read programme notes on your phone or device.
At this concert we will be offering a new experience – information and insight about the music delivered in real time to your smartphone. EnCue is a mobile app that enhances audience engagement during live performing arts events. The app delivers media to viewers in real time, creating a unique opportunity for viewers to receive helpful information at the exact moment you need it during live events.
Here's how to get involved:
Before the concert day
On the concert day
1. Make sure your phone is fully charged before leaving for the Barbican
2. Connect to our dedicated WiFi network 'LSO Half Six Fix' with the password 'LSOHalfSixFix'
3. Set your phone to silent. We also recommend turning off auto screen lock and disabling push notifications
4. Open the EnCue app
5. You can sign in with Facebook or your email if you want to create an account. This lets you save slides to view later, or share them to Facebook. If you’d rather not create an account, select 'Skip'
6. Select London from the list of available cities
7. Tap 'Download Performance' then 'View Performance'. The notes will start automatically and will advance automatically during the performance – you can swipe left or right to browse content on your own, and re-sync with the performance at any time by tapping the switch icon in the lower left portion of the screen.
There is a user guide contained in the app which can be accessed by tapping the (?) icon in the top right of the screen.
Apple users: if you have previously downloaded the app, you should download the latest version from the App Store. This will fix a previous bug in the iOS11 operating system that was causing the app to freeze.
These concerts start at 6.30pm and last for one hour, without an interval, featuring a short programme of one or two major works, which the conductor will introduce from the stage.
To bring you closer to the action, we’ll have screens to showcase the performers and programme notes available electronically on your Android or iPhone device. You can also enjoy the music with a drink in your seat.